Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Where have all the baby dolls gone?

An ongoing discussion between my mother-in-law and me is the fact of our children growing up too fast. She asks me frequently..."Where have all the baby dolls gone?" As I began preparing for Ab's Spa Party, I thought about this. Are we growing little girls up too soon?

I must admit....I want Abs (& Lily) to be girly girls. It broke my heart when I finally admitted to myself that dance was a losing battle for Abs. I was the only one stressed about the entire adventure. She didn't want to wear the leotards or anything!! She just kept asking, "When does t-ball start?" At least I came to my senses in late September thus sparing us all the costs for yet another year.

So the spa party has came and gone and much fun was had by all. However this morning, this was one of the first stories on the Today show. I thought I would share it with you in hopes of getting new perspectives on the topic. If you can spare a few minutes, please watch the video (its around 4.5 minutes) and post a comment.

And the question I leave you all with for the day is......"Where have all the baby dolls gone?"




9 comments:

Maddie said...

I think it is just like everything else. You can take all the make up and "stuff" too far. But, when it is used for pretend play, it is harmless fun and can even cultivate imaginations. What is wrong with that? That is just MY opinion and I am sure others would disagree. :)

jonesfamily said...

I agree....I don't want Abs to be the next beauty queen Jon-Benet...but I do want her to be girly and like to dress up and play with girly things!!! (yes, baby dolls, which she doesn't play with often!)

The Wild World of Richmond said...

I do agree about with Tammy about the pretend play. Bryn loves to spend her money at Claire's. Well, she buys the makeup-eyeshadow, lip gloss, etc.(and an occasional Zac Effron poster), but she knows that it IS for play and we don't go out like that. I also think that we as parents set a HUGE example. I don't wear a lot of makeup or even nail polish...not that anything's wrong with it, but I'm not ashamed to be seen without it. In other words, they see me not putting a lot of emphasis on it so I hope that they realize that it's not a NECESSARY thing to make them feel good. BUT, Ken says if the barn needs to be painted-paint the barn...LOL. He's all for makeup. I think we just need to emphasize that Jesus is who gives us our beauty, not makeup or clothes or anything else.

Klingbeil Family said...

I guess just like everything in life - there are extremes that should be avoided. I do see girls growing up too fast these days and it hurts my heart. Let the little girls be little girls. They don't have to wear make-up to be pretty - that's a harmful message to put in the hearts and minds of these girls. You're party was great - no make-up to change the look - just some fun hair and nails. I don't think there is anything wrong with playing dress-up and playing with hair-do's, or for that matter painting nails. Just take it in moderation and make sure the girls know they are naturally beautiful because that's the way God made them!!

Erik and Angela Green said...

Oh it was great! Very funny dance.

Cyndi Lou said...

I agree that there are extremes and that we should avoid them. I think we are introducing this kind of thing to our girls too young, if we do anything else with it other than play dress up and having fun!

Now, I say this as the mom of a 'girly girl' who loves painted toenails & finger nails and pretty, girly things! But, we have talked about the fact that she is beautiful just the way she is because that is how God made her and all of that stuff is fun or only used for dance recitals! I think we do need to be careful and keep it all in perspective- as we need to do with everything they will encounter in life!

I think it is bizarre how young some of the girls in that clip were! Thanks for sharing!!

Erik and Angela Green said...

Amen brother!

Tamara Chastain said...

Call me crazy. I don't see anything wrong with painted nails or toes. To me thats the beauty of being a girl. Lets face it weather your 4 or 84 there is nothing better than a fabulous pedicure.

jonesfamily said...

Thanks for your comments!!

I guess I agree with all of you. Just thought I would put something out there for us to think about. I know Abs loves to have her mani & pedis. (Even Wade has been known to paint toenails (Abs) when I haven't been able.)

I am thankful for all of you and your belief that Jesus makes all of us beautiful!

Love to you all!!